‘One language sets you in a corridor for life. Two languages open every door along the way.’
Aims for language learning
Our school values are Determination, Trust, Friendship and Respect. As a school, we aim to:
- foster an enthusiasm of foreign language learning
- nurture an understanding of the wider world
- grow an appreciation of cultural diversity
- develop receptive and productive skills
- promote British values
- enhance transferrable language skills and raise awareness of the children’s own language
The National Curriculum 2014 Languages programmes of study: KS2 underpins the children’s language learning and focus. Our children learn French regularly in Key Stage 2 by a French specialist. Formative assessments inform Medium Term plans to tailor the learning to the children’s needs.
Department of Education Programme of Study
We follow the recommended French programme of study from the Department of Education.
At North Cave School, our children learn French regularly in Key Stage 2. The language learning develops the receptive skills of listening and reading and the productive skills of speaking and writing in a foreign language. Exposing the children to as much of the target language as possible is paramount in our teaching. The target language is used consistently for example for instructions, the date, marking, songs, role-play, stories, and games and is integral to all French lessons. Children enjoy sharing their learning through class assemblies, for example singing ‘Tête, épaules, genoux et pieds’ (Heads, shoulders, knees and toes), ‘Le vieux Macdonald avait une ferme’ (Old Macdonald had a farm) and ‘Vive le vent’ (Jingle bells) at our Carol concert. The children also enjoy having the opportunity to participate in a French week where they can experience French culture such as trying French cuisine, playing French games, singings French songs and reading French book.
All children are encouraged to apply their understanding of French as much as possible using the different language skills. . Children consult a phonics grid available in their classrooms to improve decoding accuracy.
The Three Pillars of Language Learning
The language learning develops the receptive skills of listening and reading and the productive skills of speaking and writing in a foreign language using their understanding of:
French Phonics Grid for Learning
In accordance with the National Curriculum, pupils are taught to:
- listen attentively to spoken language and show understanding by joining in and responding
- develop an understanding of the phonic patterns of the target language using songs and rhymes
- converse for example using opinions, asking and answering questions
- speak in sentences
- develop accurate pronunciation and intonation
- present ideas orally to a range of audiences
- read carefully and recognise words, phrases and simple writing
- appreciate stories, songs, poems and rhymes
- broaden their vocabulary and use a dictionary
- write phrases and adapt such phrases
- describe people, places, things and actions orally and in writing
- understand basic grammar e.g. masculine and feminine forms
- build sentences using patterns of language
Click on the links below for French websites which provide activities, information and more:
Flash-based site for basic French.
Some free resources including a play in French which can be downloaded.
French Flash-based website aimed at KS2
Listen to real French Radio on the net.
Live views of the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, the Champs Elysees and more.
Choose a view then use your mouse to turn 360 degrees. Requires Quicktime.